Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Google does the work for you!

Seeking new and outside information about the candidates, I sought the assistance of Google. Here's what I found about each of the presidential candidates.

First, there's a post on the CBC.ca feature Canada Votes 2006, where a poster by the name of Jonny Sopotiuk claims to be supporting the local NDP candidate in Winnipeg South:

I will definitely be voting NDP; this will be my first I'm of age that I can vote in.

Their party best represents my values and in my mind represents what Canadians are known for worldwide. Jack Layton is an amazing speaker, the most confident and trustworthy of all the party leaders.

They are the only party that I can whole-heartedly count on to support my rights and make sure my voice is heard.

Good luck in the polls on Monday Mr. Page!

Posted by: Jonny Sopotiuk | Jan 17, 2006 2:13:46 AM
I suppose there could be somebody else out there with the same name, who lives in the same area and is of the same approximate age (Jonny's Facebook profile indicates he went to Dakota Collegiate and graduated in 2004) but I leave it to the reader to decide.

Troy Unrau from Clean Slate has his own public blog hosted on LiveJournal. His most recent post announces, in a vague way designed to avoid disqualification for pre-campaigning, that he'll be seeking office:
Anyway, this week was supposed to be somewhat of a week off for myself, but things never work out that way, for a number of reasons. First being that I am campaigning for student government at the U of Manitoba. I cannot reveal what position I am campaigning for or any platform points on my blog due to bizarre campaign bylaws that our student union has in place in order to try to make the available resources perfectly equal to all candidates. Now this means that the internet is out-of-bounds except for a small designated webspace, which costs $30 to rent for one month (and you don't get a domain, php, etc...) plus facebook!

This frustrates me, as a long time facebook holdout (disliking that much data in one place), as this essentially says to me that I can do nothing on the internet except talk about things in a very vague manner (such as this post) without disqualifying myself from the campaign. I can't even say that I'd change it if I win, since that would be a platform point, which I cannot release.
Finally, Pierce Cairns of the Regressive Conservatives became quite notorious over the Internet earlier this year by pulling a prank where he... well... I'll let you read about it (with a warning - this link isn't entirely safe for work/public terminals):
Gentlemen (and ladies), meet Pierce Cairns. He's a pharmacy student in Winnipeg, Canada, which is cool. But Mr. Cairns is not of note here because of what he studies; it's because of his contribution to guyhood. Cuz thanks to Pierce Cairns, a whole slew of people in Canada think PMS isn't real; enter, the PMS prank.

Let's get this out of the way. PMS is real. Premenstrual women actually have physical side effects that can affect their mood, among other things. But as Pierce Cairns puts it, "I know it exists, but it's silly how females blame their countless problems on PMS. Being a bitch? PMS. Bad day at work? PMS. Forgot to take out the garbage? PMS. Right. Time for an article."
A reminder to everyone: once you post something on the Internet, it's there forever!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sopotiuk: "Jack layton is the most trustworthy of all party leaders"...I guess if this represents the future direction of UMSU under him I want to take a step back too...guess I'll have to vote regressive conservative!

Jack Layton...give me a break.

brian said...

Things like this, their campaign materials and the VP's comments regarding a women's rifle range at the fireside make me think the Regressive Conservatives are a joke slate.

srmbea said...

i guess we can't be too surprised, after all umsu/cfs are really close to the ndp:
http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2008/02/08/so-much-for-being-non-partisan/