Friday, February 29, 2008

UMSU through history

I found a few interesting tidbits about UMSU presidents and politics in the University's online archives that I thought I should share:
1943: The U.M.S.U. president Albert Hamilton is called before the Board of Governors for his anti-war poem “Atrocities” that appeares in the Manitoban’s Literary Supplement. Hamilton’s marks in his graduating year are held up until he joins active service.

1958: Flying fish, oranges, lunch bags and assorted paraphernalia bring U.M.S.U. election speeches to an abrupt and premature end in February 1958. Engineering students reacting to some earlier comments by candidate Dave Stinson unleashed their barrage of missiles.
When I started this post, I was really hoping there was more than two things in the document that were remarkable. Hmm.

OK, I'll throw this in to the mix, since it's my favourite piece of UMSU history. In 1965/66, Winston Dookeran is elected UMSU President. I'm sure that's a stressful job, but it probably didn't compare to the stress he faced in 1990. That year, he was a politician and deputy leader of the ruling political in Trinidad & Tobago... when the Prime Minister was taken hostage by rebels! Dookeran became the Acting Prime Minister and had to help lead his country out of crisis. Speaking at an UMSU fundraising dinner a few years ago, he remarked how his experience with UMSU helped him through that time.

Pretty freakin' awesome.

So which of our presidential candidates are best suited to fight a protracted civil war? The comments are open.

No comments: