Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hits from the campaign trail

Student "politicians" aren't professional (and I think most prefer it that way) but that shouldn't stop us from having a chuckle or two at their expense. How many words, Mitch?

"The goal of Students United, I believe, is summed up best by three words: 'we have a vision.' We, I think, touch the campus community," vice-president (advocacy) candidate [Mitch] Tripple said.
Comments no doubt inspired by a triple. Perhaps my favorite quote so far is from Regressive Conservative presidential candidate Pierce Cairns:
The Regressive Conservative slate — doesn’t the name speak for itself? We’re trying to go back to, I don’t want to say, a better time? Every good car is built with reverse.

And I know it's rude to say things like this, but it seems that Clean Slate was born... you know... by accident:

Clean Slate was originally comprised of Christine Brine, Ben Singer, Serena Heska and Jackson Duong, all members of the Arts Student Body Council. After the nomination period, previously unaffiliated presidential candidate Troy Unrau joined their slate.

In an interview with the Manitoban, Unrau discussed how he joined the slate. “I am not an Arts student. I have no real connection to them, other than the fact that they were running without a president, and I was running without a slate.

“And after talking to them for about five minutes, I realized that we have a lot of the same policies and the same ideas. It was a match, basically, made by accident. But one that I’m very happy with.”


Comments are open. How did everyone find the fireside chat today?

No comments: