Friday, March 7, 2008

How it will go down

I just spoke with the CRO, and here's how things will go down tonight.

Prior to 6:00pm, all scrutineers must be present at the location at which ballots will be counted. They must also fill out and submit a scrutineer form.

At 6:00pm, voting ends. Poll clerks will pack up their ballots and bring them to the counting location.

Once counting is complete, the CRO will post preliminary results. After the appeals period expires, official results will be posted. The official results (and hopefully the preliminary results) will also include a breakdown of voting at each individual poll booth.

When I asked if I could attend, the CRO told me that since I was neither a poll clerk nor a scrutineer, I could not. She could not confirm that the bylaws forbade me from being there (since they don't) but it was "how she was running things" or something to that effect.

Speaking of bylaws, here's another one they almost certainly won't be able to follow. Bylaw 1008:

14. A record shall be kept of voter turnout in UMSU general elections, by-elections and referenda, for each faculty, residence and college.

15. Election results (including the final vote count for each candidate or side) as well as turnout shall be made publicly available to Members of the Union, and results of elections and referenda (including sample ballots) shall be archived by the Union and accessible to Members.


Yea, that doesn't happen anymore. If you went to the UMSU desk today and asked for last year's results, they would stare at you like you had four heads.

1 comment:

red_ranger said...

So it would be the same stare I got in the fall when I asked for meeting minutes? Thanks for the heads up.