Wednesday, March 5, 2008

LGBTT* community candidate withdraws

Of the five "community" seats on UMSU Council, only one of them had more than one candidate vying for the seat. Now, that position too is being acclaimed.

Daniel Draper, who had served a single term last year on Council as the LGBTT* representative, is now listed as having withdrawn. Challenger Denis Courcelles will presumably be acclaimed.

Of the other four positions, two have been acclaimed (pending "Yes" votes,) no nominations were received for the international student representative, and the sole candidate for women's representatives had earlier withdrawn her candidacy.

UPDATE: Below is a copy of the letter Daniel sent the CRO. I've emphasized the important parts for those who prefer to skim:

Statement from the Office of the LGBTT* Community Representative on Candidacy in the Current UMSU General Election

March 5, 2008

Over the past little while, I have been giving a lot of thought to my candidacy in the current UMSU General Election which ends this Friday. It is my belief that I have represented my community well over the past year by advocating on their behalf at UMSU Council and in the community. This is work that I will continue until the changeover that will occur in late April.

The campaign this year has made me realize that I am not as passionate about offically representing the LGBTT* community as I was when I was elected to this position one year ago. Although I will continue to work for the rights of our community over the remainder of my term of office, I no longer believe that I am the best candidate for the position of LGBTT* Community Representative. That is why, effective immediately, I am withdrawing my candidacy for the position of LGBTT* Community Representative for the upcoming Academic Year.

These are positions that require an extremely high amount of involvement with the University community, not just the Rainbow Pride Mosaic and other student service groups. They can be extremely high stress and are, at times, extremely frustrating. As such, they are very draining on the individuals who take them on if done properly

It is my belief that Mr. Denis Courcelles will fulfill the position of LGBTT* Community Representative at least as successfully as I have over the past year. He possesses the energy, drive and connections to do the a fantastic job for our community at UMSU. With proper guidance and development over the next two months, Denis will be more than ready to take on this role when he assumes office May 1, 2008. It is my sincere hope that the community will embrace Denis and support him to do the best work he can for our community.

Having said all of this, I will not be dropping out of University political life entirely. I have been offered another opportunity in another faculty to take on other responsibilities, an opportunity which I intend to pursue with the same enthusiasm over the next school year. I look forward to working with whichever candidates are elected to the UMSU Executive for next year in addition to Denis as they shape the face of our Students’ Union. It is sure to be an amazing year.

I wish all of the remaining candidates luck in the remainder of the election.

Thank you.

Signed,

Daniel Draper

And all eyes turn to the executive elections.

No comments: